E3 2013

Started by Foggle, June 10, 2013, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 11, 2013, 01:43:33 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on June 11, 2013, 01:41:31 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on June 10, 2013, 09:29:00 PM
Sony just revealed some PS4 games. Out of all of them, Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, and Knack got my attention. Final Fantasy Versus XIII also became a PS4 title, and it looks hella good, too bad it'll take another decade to come out.

And Squeenix hasfinally begun development on Kingdom Hearts III.

Updating this a bit, as I hadn't noticed that Versus XIII has now become FFXV.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 11, 2013, 01:39:06 PM
3D Sonic does nothing for me. And my disappointment in the new Mario is due to not getting a new big, ambitious Mario game, not just Super Mario Galaxy 3.

I'm not sure what they could've done with a Galaxy 3 that would be able to top 2, tbh.

That's exactly what I said. I was looking forward to a brand new Mario game equally as grand and ambitious as Galaxy, not just Super Mario Galaxy 3 (the new Sonic game just looks like Super Sonic Galaxy). Course, 3D World looks like neither.

Ah, my mistake. I agree that Super Mario 3D World is pretty underwhelming. It feels like it should be a 3DS title instead.

Also, this could just be my Yoshi bias kicking in, but I'm kinda sorta peeved that they chose Bowser to be in the reveal trailer over him. I can understand others like Captain Falcon, Ness, or Meta Knight not being in the reveal trailer, but it just doesn't feel right that Yoshi's the only one of the original 8 who's absent.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2013, 01:46:10 PMSonic Lost World is basically Super Mario Galaxy 3 with a Sonic bent.

This is basically a sequel to Super Mario 3D Land, only it looks way better. I also love the return of 2D art.

But I wasn't hoping for a Super Mario Galaxy 3, as I noted above. Sonic Lost World essentially being just that doesn't hold too much appeal to me, particularly cause as I said above, 3D Sonic holds no appeal to me.

I just feel like Mario's creativity seems to be dying. Galaxy was phenomenal. They made a sequel to it not out of cheap rehashing, but because there was still so much potential in the galaxy. Everyone wanted to play more Mario Galaxy... But aside from that, it just seems like everything is a glorified version of the past game. We got two New Super Mario Bros. games last year, and both felt exactly the same as the previous two 2D Mario games. Now we're getting another version of 3D Land, which felt too similar to New Super Mario Bros. as it is. It doesn't even look that good graphically. Mario Kart 8's graphics eclipse it. The graphics look just as conservative as every New Super Mario Bros. game.

I don't think I had my hopes too high. I just expected Nintendo to follow what they were already doing with 3D Mario. 3D World looks like a game I'll enjoy playing for some multiplayer, but won't have too much desire to replay it later.

EDIT: And why does it even have "3D" in its name? The reason Super Mario 3D Land had it in its name was a play on the Nintendo 3DS's gimmick. It has no place here and just makes the game look just a little bit lazier.

Spark Of Spirit

Nintendo just released a bunch of game specific Nintendo Directs.

I still don't see the problem with SM3DW. It looks a lot like Galaxy without planet hopping or gravity... which are Galaxy quirks. I'm just thankful it's nothing like SM64 or Sunshine since I have 0 desire to play a game like those again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Super Mario 3D World looks fucking amazing, so I have no idea what you guys are on.  :joy:

talonmalon333

Super Mario 3D World looks as amazing as if Spirit Tracks was instead announced and released as a Wii game.

Spark Of Spirit

If Spirit Tracks had good controls or a good gimmick anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2013, 02:28:26 PM

I don't consider following a space motif with "cat suit" a good gimmick.

I think Mega64 does a good job summing up my feelings here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zmWhw_vGw

(The ironic thing is that video includes Mario Galaxy 2. But like I said, that sequel was more than justified. Heck, even Mega64 later admitted that they felt bad including it because everyone wanted a Galaxy sequel. :P)

Nel_Annette

Eh, I had wanted a 2D Mario set-up with a 3D Mario gameplay for a long time. I just think that the 3DS title was lacking in flashiness. I t was a pick up and play casually kind of game. This being a console game opens up possibilities for bigger levels, and the whole SMB2 character roster and the cat suit, which looks legitimately fun to use are just enticing to me.

Oh, and I was amazed when I realized the Sonic Lost World trailer I was watching was for the 3DS version. Holy shit. Sonic's speed looked good, the platforming looked good. Definitely buying both version.

There's so many other things Nintendo and Sony-wise to discuss, but it's just a bit overwhelming right now.  :sweat:

In addition to Mega Man, I am glad that the AC Villager is finally a playable character in Smash Bros.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 11, 2013, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2013, 02:28:26 PM

I don't consider following a space motif with "cat suit" a good gimmick.

Are you actually calling a power-up comparable with a gameplay theme? What? They're point A to B platformers only this time there's a four player mode and no gravity gimmick (which again would make it Galaxy 3).

There is nothing they could have announced short of a sequel to Super Mario 64 to get people excited. And I really don't want that.

Anyway, here's the Developer Direct for SM3DW...

Rynnec

New character revealed for Smash 4 already?

This was a pretty out there choice, but I guess I'm okay with it. I just hope they don't go too overboard with these "WTF" characters.

Interesting enough, they only show screenshots of the WiiU version, so maybe they're going for exclusive characters too?

Spark Of Spirit

Okay in DKC you can pick things out of the ground and throw enemies at other enemies like SMB2 because they wanted that mechanic to return.

Add that, Dixie (plus an unannounced character!), David Wise, fixing my issues with the last game... I'm hyped!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2013, 02:42:11 PM
Are you actually calling a power-up comparable with a gameplay theme? What? They're point A to B platformers only this time there's a four player mode and no gravity gimmick (which again would make it Galaxy 3).

There is nothing they could have announced short of a sequel to Super Mario 64 to get people excited. And I really don't want that.

Anyway, here's the Developer Direct for SM3DW...

The power-up is featured just as prominently as the leaf was in 3D Land, and seems to a big part of the gameplay.

And I disagree with your second point. I have plenty of huge ideas for what the next 3D Mario could've been, just as great and limitless as Galaxy was. To me, 3D World just looks like a game that would be fine on a handheld, but seems so conservative as the next big Wii U game.

They just didn't do it for me, this time. I do think 3D World will be a good game, and I'll get it assuming I end up buying a Wii U. But so far it doesn't look like a "must buy" to me

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 11, 2013, 02:39:12 PMI just think that the 3DS title was lacking in flashiness.

That's the thing though. This Wii U game looks the exact same, but with more playable characters. How is it any flashier?

Spark Of Spirit

Gerudo Valley?

Oh and they're changing the Triforce Hunt in Wind Waker. They didn't say what exactly they were doing, but it's getting tweaked. They also added in a quick sail option. Making the best 3D Zelda even better!

talonmalon333

I have to admit, that's pretty cool. They're addressing both of the flaws that people had with the game.

I also feel as if the game looks better than when we first saw it months ago. It seems to retain the simplicity that the original game had (which I thought the first screenshots seemed to lose), but in HD. But still... they really need to tone down that bloom.

EDIT: They even went back to having his eyebrow visible through his hair. Classic

Rynnec