The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I think I'm going to play Twilight Princess, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Link Between Worlds - probably in that order. :)

talonmalon333

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

talonmalon333

Also, keep in mind that Twilight Princess has a bit of a slow beginning. I think it works because Zelda games are always good at building character and atmosphere, but I do know many people didn't like the first hour of the game. But it does pick up a lot.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the dungeons in Twilight Princess are excellent. It's the rest of the game I'm not particularly enthused on.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2015, 11:39:27 AM
Also, keep in mind that Twilight Princess has a bit of a slow beginning. I think it works because Zelda games are always good at building character and atmosphere, but I do know many people didn't like the first hour of the game. But it does pick up a lot.
I actually love long, slow openings in games if the story and characters are interesting enough. :joy:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2015, 12:05:22 PM
I think the dungeons in Twilight Princess are excellent. It's the rest of the game I'm not particularly enthused on.
Ah, so the reverse of how I felt about Skyward Sword! ;)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2015, 12:05:22 PM

The combat in the game is great, easily the best in the series, I'd say. And I like how big the world is. Twilight Princess also has one of the best stories in the series, with the only slight flaw being a certain twist midway in. To be honest, I don't have many issues with the game at all, although I am a bigger fan of 3D Zelda than you are in general.

Nel_Annette

That twist is really my only big problem with the game besides the slow beginning. The rest of it is solid. And the dungeons are some of the coolest and original in the series (lookin' at you, ice dungeon).

Foggle

How bad is the twist? Like, is it a minor ill-advised setback, or a glaring story/pacing-killing problem?

Nel_Annette

More of a "why did you guys put this particular thing in the game? The story would have been much better without this one glaring plot point" kind of twist. I honestly think we get a few cool things out of the twist but overall it kind of killed my enthusiasm for the story in the second half. Play the game, Foggle! I've spent years having to dance around Twilight Princess spoilers for you, and now it's time to put the knife in that game's back so we can finally just talk about it! I have so many nitpicks to make about TwiPri, I can't hold it in anymore!  :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

It's lame.

Twilight Princess has the single lamest story of any Zelda game because of it. I'm not even sure if that's debatable anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 23, 2015, 07:34:26 PM
More of a "why did you guys put this particular thing in the game? The story would have been much better without this one glaring plot point" kind of twist.
Ah, so how I felt about Catherine, then. Man, that game's story could have been transcendent without the plot twist...

QuoteI honestly think we get a few cool things out of the twist but overall it kind of killed my enthusiasm for the story in the second half. Play the game, Foggle! I've spent years having to dance around Twilight Princess spoilers for you, and now it's time to put the knife in that game's back so we can finally just talk about it! I have so many nitpicks to make about TwiPri, I can't hold it in anymore!  :lol:
I'll play it as soon as it gets here! Which will hopefully be by the end of the week. :)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
It's lame.

Twilight Princess has the single lamest story of any Zelda game because of it. I'm not even sure if that's debatable anymore.
:shit:

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, you can still enjoy the game for all it has to offer. I just don't think the story is anywhere near one of its better qualities.

Foggle

Well, it shouldn't bother me too much, since I usually play these games for the sense of adventure rather than the actual story. A bit disappointing it gets stupid, though. :(

Nel_Annette

The sad part is, I remember genuinely loving the story up until that point. I specifically remember audibly yelling "NO!" at my screen when that twist happened. They had just gotten it right in
Spoiler
Minish Cap but then TP came out and
[close]
... argh!

talonmalon333

I don't think it's as stupid as anyone here is suggesting... Seriously, Spark, worst story in the series? What? Not debatable? :P

The twist is the only weak element of the game. And it's not even bad. Most of what comes after it works well. It's just that the twist itself doesn't totally feel necessary and lacks proper buildup. Once you play the game, it'd be a good discussion for us to have.

But overall, I'd say Twilight Princess has the best story in the series, after Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.