Ushio & Tora

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 10, 2015, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

This show is unbelievable fast paced, yet never feels rushed.

Also, I loved how Ushio was thinking about how he might not live through the Hakumen No Mono battle and took a step at trying to be more mature with Onee.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Tora's back!

Really dig the animation in this episode:

Spoiler
[close]
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I love how Tora's hair raised.  :D Did you make either of those gifs?  :)

Spark Of Spirit

Just found them looking around.

It's really easy to find good shots of this anime. Nishimura at work.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Speaking of Nishimura at work, it looks like the OP features scenes from the upcoming episode exactly like Trigun did.

Wondering what the deal is with Guren since I heard from fans of the manga that there's more to him than we see at first. Probably has something to do with how much he looks like Tora. Not to mention those other Toras in the OP. I think we're close to learning about Tora's past. Other than that, it was typical U&T greatness, though I do wonder what the heck they're going to do to get everyone's memories back since everything really seems to be falling apart.

And what was the deal with Nagare at the end? Did losing his memories of Ushio and Tora mess with his head or something?

LumRanmaYasha

I think Guren and Tora are both from the same family or breed of yokais, which is why we see all those other Tora look-alikes in the opening. And considering they look so alike, I'm also willing to bet that Guren was the yokai that killed Hyou's family. Which I feel pretty confident about considering the OP shows them fighting and all.

I read a spoiler about what happens with Nagare a long time ago, and it looks like that's finally coming up in the next episode. It's definitely suspicious that he was the only member of the Koumei Sect not to be turned to stone, so seeing why should be interesting.

Spark Of Spirit

There's also Kirio, but I also have no idea where he is. I can't picture him sitting still and waiting for Ushio to get back, especially since he doesn't remember him at all.

Man, that was intense episode, though. Asako almost bit it, Mayuko is gone, and now Ushio and Tora are still on their own and forgotten by everyone else. Can only imagine what'll happen next.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ushio and Tora just keeps on impressing me with each new episode. At first I liked it well enough as a general action/adventure show, but now it's the best animated series featuring mythical beasts and an extensive lore that I've ever seen since Gargoyles, and that's high praise considering how much I love that show.

I really like how Ushio and Tora do the noble deed of saving their allies even though they don't remember who they are, and unlike most series they aren't immediately rewarded for it. They only did it because it was the right thing to do. And, while things still look dire right now, this will eventually come back in a big way later on, just like everything else in this series does. What impresses me most about Fujita's writing is that he clearly planned out elements of his story in a way similar to Eichiro Oda with One Piece, to the point where there's hardly ever a wasted scene. Almost everything and everyone that you see early on plays a big part in the story later on as well.

VLordGTZ

Another great episode!  I'm interested to see what the hell is up with Nagare.  If the opening theme and the end of this episode are any indication, it seems that something might be seriously wrong with him.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, episodes like this are when I kick myself that I never sampled his work before. It's like the rest of the world outside of Japan completely skipped over his work the last 25 years. A real loss.

I mean, I already preordered his Black Museum from Kodansha, but I would like a legal way to read the work that put him on the map.

gunswordfist

Oh my damn..I thought this episode would be great but this show continues to shatter all expectations. Mayuko shocked me when her powers started to really manifest. This episode was action-packed plus we got a peek at what Mayuko and Asako think of each other and Ushio. Then evil Tora(s) pop up and the show's pacing made them fit in well. This show's more effective in 2 episodes than entire seasons of many other anime.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 08, 2016, 03:18:46 PM
I really like how Ushio and Tora do the noble deed of saving their allies even though they don't remember who they are, and unlike most series they aren't immediately rewarded for it. They only did it because it was the right thing to do.
I loved the way Ushio said to Tora that getting thanks is not why they do this. I want to find a gif of that.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I'm floored.

The origins of the Azafuse were not only revealed, as well as who killed Hyou's family, but how they all connect together with Guren. That is a pretty insane reveal, but not as crazy as what this probably means for who Tora really is. And again, these episodes are too short. Now to wait for next week for more answers.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

"What a tweest!" :D

I just love how this story manages to surprise you at every turn, even when you think that you know everything. And unlike bad manga or anime which just shoehorn in plot twists because they think that it seems cool, but don't put any thought into how it serves the story or if it even creates any plot-holes, U&T actually integrates it in with the progression of the story and characters seamlessly, to the point where it actually feels like a more natural answer to your questions than what you thought that you knew before. This is just good writing.

VLordGTZ

Wow, this sure was twist.  I had already assumed that Guren killed Hyou's family, but I certainly wasn't expecting the reveal of the Azafuse and their origin.  Another great episode!

gunswordfist

Oh man ohmanohmanohman. I am not sure when the last time I was this shocked and impressed by a plot twist. And the twist was hinted at just enough to make sense.
Spoiler
Seeing that another human used the spear was shocking enough. Not to mention that Hyou came back and they revealed who killed his family. I kind of hate it ended in "I'm leaving you alive for fun/I'll get you next time!" But at least Hyou changed and didn't stay the same unlike shows that overuse that trope.
I still wonder if Tora was human. Of course at this point, I probably already got the answer but still. More importantly, I can't wait to see why he hates humans so much.
[close]
This show continues to surprise and impress me.