The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Termina was not saved in the classic timeline nor the Wind Waker one. So chances are it doesn't exist in either timeline.

Lorule could very well be what happened as a result of it being saved, then it went bad somewhere down the line and that is why they need Link's help. It would also fit in with the darker atmosphere of that timeline and the fact that Majora's Mask is just chilling in the shop.

That's my theory, anyway.

EDIT: I'm also not sure what is wrong with ANYTHING shown so far. It's a classic Zelda with LTTP mechanics and a choose-your-own dungeon system. What are they doing wrong exactly?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Spoiler

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 14, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
Termina was not saved in the classic timeline nor the Wind Waker one. So chances are it doesn't exist in either timeline.

Lorule could very well be what happened as a result of it being saved, then it went bad somewhere down the line and that is why they need Link's help. It would also fit in with the darker atmosphere of that timeline and the fact that Majora's Mask is just chilling in the shop.

That's my theory, anyway.

If you go by the timeline, Termina was not saved in the classic Zelda timeline. So if anything like that, Lorule would sort of be the ruins of the land.

And I just don't like the idea of tying MM in any way into this game. It's a great self-contained story, and I don't like the idea of Nintendo inserting these convoluted self-references that the recent games seem to love so much.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 14, 2013, 04:57:18 PMEDIT: I'm also not sure what is wrong with ANYTHING shown so far. It's a classic Zelda with LTTP mechanics and a choose-your-own dungeon system. What are they doing wrong exactly?

The ability to choose the dungeons in order sounds all good, and I wouldn't complain much about top down Zelda. But the game itself just sounds like such a copy-paste job of ALttP. Added to that the story elements I mentioned earlier that I don't like (largely including Majora's Mask), and I think I made my issues clear enough.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

I'm saying that the "Between Worlds" is "Between timelines", and personally I'd prefer tying the timelines in instead of just not talking about them ever again. I'm saying Lorule is actually in that timeline while the normal world is in the classic timeline. Given that Aounuma said there's a surprise for beating the game, I'm assuming that's what it is.

It's just my theory anyway.

There also aren't any self-contained stories in Zelda. Ocarina Of Time has to happen for Majora's Mask to happen, so it isn't standalone. Not to mention the whole Twilight Princess theory of who the shadow figure is and it doubly isn't standalone. They all lead into another one down the line.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this one. I've been waiting for this since Minish Cap and it being done by the main Zelda team makes me more excited.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 14, 2013, 09:47:30 PM
I'm saying that the "Between Worlds" is "Between timelines", and personally I'd prefer tying the timelines in instead of just not talking about them ever again. I'm saying Lorule is actually in that timeline while the normal world is in the classic timeline. Given that Aounuma said there's a surprise for beating the game, I'm assuming that's what it is.

It's just my theory anyway.

Interesting theory. But I feel like they wouldn't make the story revolve around the timeline that much. Though maybe you think that, now that the timeline is out in the public, they will feel more inclined to refer to it nowadays, which may possibly be true.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 14, 2013, 09:47:30 PMThere also aren't any self-contained stories in Zelda. Ocarina Of Time has to happen for Majora's Mask to happen, so it isn't standalone. Not to mention the whole Twilight Princess theory of who the shadow figure is and it doubly isn't standalone. They all lead into another one down the line.

Well, 99% of what happens in MM stays in MM. True, Link does go to Termina searching for Navi, but the plot is completely unrelated. It's not like WW, where the story is deeply rooted in the history of events that took place during the events of OoT, or how SS is an obvious prequel to the whole series. MM has its own setting with its own history (which remains a mystery and, in my opinion, should very much stay that way), its own story, its own villain, its own everything. Link just stumbled into it.

I think Termina should be left as it is.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 14, 2013, 09:47:30 PMAnyway, I'm really excited for this one. I've been waiting for this since Minish Cap and it being done by the main Zelda team makes me more excited.

The main Zelda team brought us SS. :P

I'll say this much, though. I can't imagine A Link Between Worlds being weaker than the DS games.

Nel_Annette

...Personally, I'd love for all three timelines to tie into each other and merge at some point.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 16, 2013, 01:29:56 AM
...Personally, I'd love for all three timelines to tie into each other and merge at some point.

That would result in a world where, suddenly, three different histories would smash together into something impossible. Either that, or a list of potential things could happen...

a. A giant body of water will suddenly crash over Hyrule, and a new Hyrule that worships trains will sprout up somewhere else. (representing the WW timeline)
b. The Great Sea will  vanish along with new Hyrule, and the original Hyrule will exist as if it was never drowned. (representing the MM timeline and the 2D timeline)

a. The moon will suddenly rise up and bring the people of Termina back to life (representing the MM timeline)
b. After celebrating the end of the apocalypse brought upon them by the moon and the Skull Kid, the moon will suddenly reappear and destroy Termina, leading Majora's Mask to come back as well and return to the darkness (representing the WW and 2D timelines)

a. The Triforce will be reunited (representing the WW and 2D timelines)
b. The Triforce will split into pieces (representing the MM timeline)

I could go on and on. Overall, the concept of merging three timelines with massively different histories would just be really messy. :P

Nel_Annette

Dude, it's Zelda. They can bullshit a way.  :P

talonmalon333

Personally, I'd prefer them ditching the timeline. :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 16, 2013, 01:29:56 AM
That's what I would like, too.

It's fantasy, they can always make an explanation somehow.

talonmalon333

Has anyone ever read this article?

http://kotaku.com/5885595/zelda-just-keeps-getting-worse-but-it-isnt-beyond-saving

It basically argues that modern Zelda is broken, why it's broken, and how it can be fixed.

I think the article raises valid points, but there are points where it gives the original LoZ too much credit. The article praises a few parts of that game that are simply dated.

Foggle

That article is one of the worst things I've ever read, everything else I've ever encountered by its author is similarly awful, and you should be banned for unironically posting a link to Kotaku.

;)

No, but really. I can kind of see where he's coming from at times, but I agree with almost none of the points Thompson tries to make, I find his writing rather amateurish and off-putting, and Kotaku is one of the worst "news" websites to ever exist.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is Zelda really getting that much worse? I mean, I know that quite a few people were disappointed with Skyward Sword, but everyone and their mother seemed to love all of the console Zelda games that came before it, and the 2D and handheld entries have always done pretty well for the series (not to mention that we are getting a new one). Is this really what gamers have come to? Just one less than stellar game in the series means that it has hit the shitter?

Dr. Insomniac

It's Kotaku. They're the gaming tabloids, except most tabloids at least have a shred of credibility.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't agree with the article on basically everything about the Zelda franchise getting worse, but the idea of a game that basically allows you to run around, and explore it's world without being trapped by the confines of tasks and plot, and being exceedingly harsh and difficult to master is pretty intriguing to me, myself. I'd certainly play a game like that (I've never played the first two Zelda games, so maybe I'll do that sometime), but to say the the Zelda franchise is suckier and suckier for not having that type of gameplay isn't really a valid argument at all, as the writer is just relaying and exaggerating his/her personal problems with the franchise than actually objectively and fairly weighing it's overall pros and cons.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 24, 2013, 04:47:16 PM
Is Zelda really getting that much worse? I mean, I know that quite a few people were disappointed with Skyward Sword, but everyone and their mother seemed to love all of the console Zelda games that came before it, and the 2D and handheld entries have always done pretty well for the series (not to mention that we are getting a new one). Is this really what gamers have come to? Just one less than stellar game in the series means that it has hit the shitter?
From what I can tell, this guy actually thinks that every Zelda since and including Link to the Past is shit.