Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I don't know about you, but I can't stop using Netflix. That's how I get my fix of:

-Archer
-Doctor Who
-Sherlock
-Breaking Bad
-Star Trek (ALL series, even the animated one)
-Cheers
-Frasier
-The Dick Van Dyke Show
-Scrubs
-Ned's Declassified
-Drake & Josh
-What I don't own of Buffy and Angel on DVD
-The Twilight Zone (season 4 aside)
-The Andy Griffith Show
-Louie
-King of the Hill
-Futurama
-Home Movies
-Parks and Recreation
-30 Rock
-The X-Files

And where I'll eventually start Mad Men, Better Off Ted and Battlestar Galactica. I might be forgetting more, like some good shows I already own on DVD, and an infinite supply of movies but yeah, there's a LOT to check out for a good price.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Shame Cartoon Planet didn't last a bit more longer, but I don't see the big deal of Level Up airing then because everything airing on Fridays past them moving the action shows to Saturday is just a place holder. Level Up's  reruns won't do well in that slot, and they know it. In fact, I think next year it will officially be canceled.

I saw a couple episodes, it was goofy but okay/tolerable. My problem with LU is that it seems more like a slice-of-life show rather than a straight action-comedy.

Avaitor

It seems like everything Level Up touches turns to shit. Didn't The Looney Tunes Show massively drop in ratings when they put LU right next to it?

I don't get why the execs at CN think that they need live-action for kids to relate to. If anything, I think kids need just as many shows that they CAN'T relate to as opposed to ones they can. Sometimes, hell, oftentimes, kids want to watch TV or movies to escape their problems, and turning on to shows about kids in school just like them doesn't let them do that at all.

This is why the more absurd cartoons have always done better on Cartoon Network than the more subdued ones, like how even though both shows premiered that same night, Courage took off while Mike, Lu & Og bombed. This is why Adventure Time and Regular Show are the network's current big hits, while all their recent live-action endeavors keep on failing. And why Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd n' Eddy (which even in it's last season in school was way more hectic and creative than most of its peers) still remain their most popular shows of all time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Goldstar

The excuse that I hate hearing the most is when CN execs (as well as certain fans) say that CN needs live action for variety. That's complete BS. Between comedy cartoons, action cartoons, old-school cartoons, teen oriented cartoons, sci-fi, romance, etc., the world of animation offers plenty of variety.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on September 01, 2012, 02:37:52 PM
It seems like everything Level Up touches turns to shit. Didn't The Looney Tunes Show massively drop in ratings when they put LU right next to it?

Feels that way. I guess that's why they try to give Level Up a lead in show like Gumball, Total Drama Revenge of the Island, and now Dragons: Riders of Berk, rather than LU be the lead in for those guys. I'm guessing LU hurting other shows is the reason why an Adventure Time rerun is used at 8:30. I do remember for Gumball that The Huntsman was worried about if Level Up would hurt Gumball's success. Of course I write that and most of what he says off due to his pessimistic views, but I think he might be right with that one, if it wasn't for Gumball getting a 2nd season. But then again I could be talking out of my ass since I can't recall if Level Up was the lead in for TLTS or not. Also, it doesn't help that certain people don't keep track of/make public knowledge of the ratings until 8 PM starts.

QuoteI don't get why the execs at CN think that they need live-action for kids to relate to. If anything, I think kids need just as many shows that they CAN'T relate to as opposed to ones they can. Sometimes, hell, oftentimes, kids want to watch TV or movies to escape their problems, and turning on to shows about kids in school just like them doesn't let them do that at all.

This is why the more absurd cartoons have always done better on Cartoon Network than the more subdued ones, like how even though both shows premiered that same night, Courage took off while Mike, Lu & Og bombed. This is why Adventure Time and Regular Show are the network's current big hits, while all their recent live-action endeavors keep on failing. And why Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd n' Eddy (which even in it's last season in school was way more hectic and creative than most of its peers) still remain their most popular shows of all time.

Valid points all the way. This is why I love cartoons, I love shit you can't do in reality, like take a fall that will kill you at normal heights

Silverstar

I have nothing against nostalgia, but it has a tendency to bring out the worst in some people.

Next month, in honor of their 20th anniversary, Cartoon Network will be launching this big to-do:

Now, this is cool, I'm fine with them doing something like this, it's good that CN is commemorating 20 years of being on the air and remembering their older fans, but what bothers me about it is that upon reading this, many of the same viewers who have been shitting on Cartoon Network since the 90's ended are now praising it to the stars. And once this big nostalgia ballyhoo is over and the retro-celebration is done, these same people will just start shitting on CN once more. It'll just be Cartoon Planet all over again.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

You know that once the month ends, the people who are praising CN now will forget that all of this happened and will bad name them again. It's a cycle, pretty much.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Those people will die out, only to be replaced by old men in the future complaining about why Adventure Time got canned.

Avaitor

Here's a Genndy Q&A from Reddit. He talks about the Samurai Jack movie, PPG revival, and Dexter's Rude Removal here, while pumping up Hotel Transylvania.

The most interesting part of this is when he agrees that Johnny Test is a Dexter's Lab rip-off.

New blog!

Kiddington

Dexter's Rude Removal... man, I can't believe after all these years, we still don't have access to it.

If he has a copy of it, why not just put it on Youtube? I mean, the show has been dead and gone for nearly 10 years now; as far as CN is concerned (because they haven't aired it in quite some time), it's ancient history. Besides, anyone who grew up with Dexter is an adult now anyway. Can't imagine why anyone at the network would care.

Ah well, hopefully someday...

Dr. Insomniac

I suppose that crew members are too scared to leak it out without being liable.

Avaitor

Well I don't think too many of them have copies anymore. Craig was recently asked about it, and he didn't even know if a print still existed.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW740EBviW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MyX1fZ4tMU

You know, I probably wouldn't even bother tuning into marathons this long nowadays, but I still really enjoyed them years ago and its a shame they probably can't do this again due to how they structured the network now.

Avaitor

I remember watching ALL of Best Day Edder, cause I wanted to see all of the show again, cause who knew how much longer it was gonna be on the network. And depending on how busy I would be if they did that again, I'd watch the whole thing again now too.

I remember that it actually did better than the Best Day Ever marathon did earlier, or at least relatively compared to Nick. That just shows how popular and important the show was.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

The strange thing about its popularity is how despite being the longest lasting of the first few original CN shows, it still seems relatively underground. When you ask people about classic CN shows in general, they usually list stuff like Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls or even Toonami stuff before they bring up EEnE.

Maybe it's just lost in the shuffle of 90s nostalgia since it premiered in the tail end of the decade just like Spongebob did.