Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Just basically turn Adult Swim into Toonami but with the exact same shows it already has?

That's a pretty good marketing move, but it wouldn't convince me to keep watching since the terrible shows are the reason I don't watch it anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

Well there's really nothing that can be done about that now can there? Lets face it a lot of shows ASA airs are about as terrible as what Toonami used to air in its heyday.

Dr. Insomniac

Really, Bleach is the only horrible show they're airing. Everything else has just been repeated to death. If they want to make ASA into Toonami, they have to pull in some effort and get some new shows. Otherwise, like Gary said.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, the text on black is beyond tired now, so I wouldn't be resistant to changing it... Because AS really needs changing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
Well, the text on black is beyond tired now, so I wouldn't be resistant to changing it... Because AS really needs changing.
Yeah, the whole dadaist schtick has become more boring than weird now.

Rynnec

I don't know if I'd consider anything on ASA's current lineup as "terrible" (Other than Bleach), but I agree that you can only survive on new packaging for so long. Hopefully Saturday night did well enough to convince AS to pick up more anime, or at least make more action-oriented original programming, or better yet, both.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
Yeah, the whole dadaist schtick has become more boring than weird now.

God knows Toonami bumpers would be much more appreciated than...whatever the hell the bumpers they use now are. :whuh:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rynnec on April 02, 2012, 02:00:22 PM
God knows Toonami bumpers would be much more appreciated than...whatever the hell the bumpers they use now are. :whuh:
You mean those bumpers with the kids wearing clown make-up and laughing at each other? Yeah, whoever thought up of that needs to get fired. Like, now.

Foggle

Steve Blum in any form >>>> all AS bumpers.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:02:45 PM
You mean those bumpers with the kids wearing clown make-up and laughing at each other? Yeah, whoever thought up of that needs to get fired. Like, now.
Probably the same people who decided that Tim & Eric deserve careers.

The whole block just needs a major revamp, and if turning it into Toonami will do that, then at least it's a step towards anything. A relaunch with brand new shows and acquisitions would be key, too.

This is really more of me wanting a good block than wanting AS to die/Toonami to return. CN hasn't really had an outright great block in such a long time and the AFD line up proves exactly that (other than Bleach), so I would welcome anything that would move it away from where it currently is.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:02:45 PM

Those, as well as the ones ones like the old lady and the BSOD'd computer, and the "Don't stand on the boat one".

The previous bumpers with a random photograph weren't anything special, but at least they didn't endanger my intelligence.

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 02:07:01 PM
Steve Blum in any form >>>> all AS bumpers.

I'd also settle for Moltar returning.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 02:07:31 PM
I still can't get why it's supposed to be funny, and this is coming from someone who had to watch awkward Public Access TV back in high school. Is it supposed to be funny because of it's unfunniness?

Foggle

AS should bring back Toonami and put shows like Baccano, Full Metal Panic, Monster, Fate/Zero, and Black Lagoon on it. That'd be a step in the right direction, at least.

AND THEY NEED TO HURRY UP WITH THE BLACK DYNAMITE CARTOON ALREADY

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 02:12:59 PM
AS should bring back Toonami and put shows like Baccano, Full Metal Panic, Monster, Fate/Zero, and Black Lagoon on it. That'd be a step in the right direction, at least.
Except Monster did awful when it was on Syfy, and they'd have to censor the shit out of Black Lagoon.

Spark Of Spirit

Unfortunately, Monster just won't fly here. Though putting it in the midnight slot during the week probably wouldn't hurt.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 02:07:31 PM
I still can't get why it's supposed to be funny, and this is coming from someone who had to watch awkward Public Access TV back in high school. Is it supposed to be funny because of it's unfunniness?
Have you ever seen SCTV? Tim & Eric is actually a very unfunny and extremely poor rip off of SCTV.

But yeah, it also follows that painfully annoying Adult Swim rule of weird = funny because.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:15:39 PM
Syfy
There's your problem.

And yeah, I kinda' forgot that the English dub of Black Lagoon is about as vulgar as a Scorsese film.