Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

It is but I legit thought he was about 24. lol
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Foggle's age doesn't merely regress. It changes by the day with no pattern. And it's no joke. It's a fact.

They say he recently went to see a PG-13 movie at an 11:00 PM showing in theaters. But as soon as the clock hit midnight his age dropped to 11 and he was asked to leave the theater.

gunswordfist

His birthdate is managed by Marvel.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 31, 2015, 03:47:09 PMI wouldn't necessarily call all of the Crash Bandicoot games great. I still think the first game hasn't particularly held up especially compared to Mario 64, its main competitor. I did play Crash 2 as a kid but I don't remember it very well. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's better. Maybe I should go back to that one. How were the levels in it compared to the original?
Crash 1 has faults. It's difficulty balance being the main offender. But it's still a good game aside from that. I would play it over Super Mario Sunshine or Sly 3 in a heartbeat.

Crash 2 is far more player friendly, has far better level design, is funnier, has better music and art, and smoother controls. I replayed it about two years ago and still had a ton of fun with it.

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 03:51:28 PMI really wish I could love Galaxy as much as everyone else does, but I just plain don't like using the Wii remote and nunchuck for a platformer; I would rather have a good old dual analog controller. The quality of the games themselves is undeniable, though.
I thought using the Wiimote and nunchuck was fun. But then I like playing with a split controller. Everything that matters happens with the analog stick and the jump and crouch buttons where the pointing is used mainly for slingshoting and collecting star bits for lives. It's a fun bonus, but I don't see how it interrupts the fun of the core game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Is Crash 2 as linear as the original?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 31, 2015, 06:12:21 PM
There's no world map like the first game. You get a hub of 4 (or 5?) levels and can choose which ones you want to play through. It also tells you how many gems each level has there as well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 06:19:32 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 31, 2015, 06:12:21 PM
There's no world map like the first game. You get a hub of 4 (or 5?) levels and can choose which ones you want to play through. It also tells you how many gems each level has there as well.

Now I remember. Cortex (and someone who looks similar to him) appearing as holograms in the hub telling him to get the gems. :P

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 05:51:45 PM
It's a minigame collection disguised as a platformer. They don't even have the clue bottles so there's no reason to even explore the levels which makes them even more boring than they are. I'm honestly surprised that game didn't kill the series.
Interestingly, that's how I felt about Banjo for awhile until I replayed them. Oh, what being an edgy teenager will do your taste... But I think you're spot on about Sly 3. That game never really appealed to me at all.

And honestly, it kind of did kill the series. It took 8 years and a new developer to make a fourth installment, which was subsequently released for $20 less than the typical new release asking price and not advertised at all. I don't think Sucker Punch ever really utilized the full potential of their stealth-platformer concept; the first two games had their moments, but they both devolved into tedious mini-games before too long. At least Jak 3 had the excuse of being rushed out the door.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 06:09:51 PM
I thought using the Wiimote and nunchuck was fun. But then I like playing with a split controller. Everything that matters happens with the analog stick and the jump and crouch buttons where the pointing is used mainly for slingshoting and collecting star bits for lives. It's a fun bonus, but I don't see how it interrupts the fun of the core game.
Eh, it's not necessarily that the game was hard or unintuitive to control - it wasn't - I just found the whole split controller thing extremely awkward. It doesn't give me the same satisfying feedback I get from a more traditional gamepad.

Rynnec

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few games that I simply cannot see working without motion controls.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 08:22:16 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 05:51:45 PM
It's a minigame collection disguised as a platformer. They don't even have the clue bottles so there's no reason to even explore the levels which makes them even more boring than they are. I'm honestly surprised that game didn't kill the series.
Interestingly, that's how I felt about Banjo for awhile until I replayed them. Oh, what being an edgy teenager will do your taste... But I think you're spot on about Sly 3. That game never really appealed to me at all.

And honestly, it kind of did kill the series. It took 8 years and a new developer to make a fourth installment, which was subsequently released for $20 less than the typical new release asking price and not advertised at all. I don't think Sucker Punch ever really utilized the full potential of their stealth-platformer concept; the first two games had their moments, but they both devolved into tedious mini-games before too long. At least Jak 3 had the excuse of being rushed out the door.
I used to consider collectathons the same until I went back to them and they finally clicked with me. It's a lot easier to accept games for what they are when you don't go in expecting everything to be one way or else it is trash. I may not be big on Tooie still, but it does have ambition.

But no, I first played Sly 3 in the Sly collection and it was a solid step down from the first two games. The first game was a great first attempt with a few rough patches (boss battles, the final level cluster-fudge, and world 3 the biggest) and the second was a good attempt at something new with issues of its own (repetitiveness, overly long, and lack of variety chief of them) but the third didn't do anything new. It was like 2 but with everything stripped out for minigames and no incentive for exploration. To be honest, Sucker Punch fumbled the ball hard.

Sanzaru, meanwhile, took the framework of the first two games, stripped out the duff and the stuff no one liked, and still managed to keep it fresh by sticking only with platforming and stealth gameplay.

It is a shame that the game didn't do all that hot. It is the game the series and its fans always deserved and it's one of the best on the PS3.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on March 31, 2015, 08:30:35 PM
Super Mario Galaxy is one of the few games that I simply cannot see working without motion controls.
Why, if I may ask?

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 08:31:57 PM
I used to consider collectathons the same until I went back to them and they finally clicked with me. It's a lot easier to accept games for what they are when you don't go in expecting everything to be one way or else it is trash. I may not be big on Tooie still, but it does have ambition.
Yeah, you have to be pretty self-motivated to enjoy collectathons, but in a different way from in games like Monster Hunter. It's a unique taste that I'm glad I reacquired. :D Tooie does have its problems, but I think it largely succeeds in its ambitious goals despite occasionally being way too obtuse for its own good.

QuoteSanzaru, meanwhile, took the framework of the first two games, stripped out the duff and the stuff no one liked, and still managed to keep it fresh by sticking only with platforming and stealth gameplay.

It is a shame that the game didn't do all that hot. It is the game the series and its fans always deserved and it's one of the best on the PS3.
I pin that blame solely on Sony. The game didn't receive any marketing from what I saw. It was practically sent to die.

And let's not forget the graphics whiners on certain other forums...

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 31, 2015, 08:43:01 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 31, 2015, 08:31:57 PMSanzaru, meanwhile, took the framework of the first two games, stripped out the duff and the stuff no one liked, and still managed to keep it fresh by sticking only with platforming and stealth gameplay.

I pin that blame solely on Sony. The game didn't receive any marketing from what I saw. It was practically sent to die.

And let's not forget the graphics whiners on certain other forums...
It was even delayed from its original Fall release date and dropped smack dab in the middle of February. It still remains the only PS3 game I've ever pre-ordered simply because I knew it wouldn't get much attention.

I still don't get the graphics whiners. The game looks really good as it is, far beyond the PS2 games, it even runs at locked 60fps. The art style is great, too. I guess I can't get into that mindset since I don't get blown away by graphics anymore. But the most common complaint I see about these types of games is that "It looks like an N64/PS1 game!" from people who have most likely not played an N64 or PS1 game in a loooooooong time.

gunswordfist

And honestly, it kind of did kill the series. It took 8 years and a new developer to make a fourth installment
that's what I wanted to say but was too lazy to say!!

Foggle

Graphics only wow me at this point if the art style is really good. Like in, well, Thieves in Time. Beautiful game IMO. You can always trust gamers not to understand how difficult and expensive it is to make games with Uncharted-level visuals, and also to forget how graphics actually looked back in the early 2000's. These people tend to believe that HD collections running at 1080p accurately represent what games looked like on the PS2...

Speaking of which, I eventually picked up the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection (thank you Mahou <3), and despite a couple of really weird bugs, it was nowhere near as bad as I'd heard. I actually can't go back to playing the originals now after experiencing the silky smooth 60fps and much more vibrant colors. Deadlocked HD is an abomination, though.

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 31, 2015, 08:59:31 PM

And honestly, it kind of did kill the series. It took 8 years and a new developer to make a fourth installment
that's what I wanted to say but was too lazy to say!!
:D

Rynnec

QuoteWhy, if I may ask?

Collecting/shooting star bits wouldn't work, for one thing, and spinning just wouldn't feel satisfying with analogue controls.